Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Eye on TV

Summer is sizzling not only here in NYC but also on television. Below is a list of some of my summer favorites. If you are like me I rarely have time to watch TV when the shows come on so I DVR them.

Special congratulations to the BET Awards 2007 "The Main Event." There is so much to say about this show. I usually don't care for them because they are often borrrrring. This was not the case last night. BET pulled all the stops from uniting Jennifer Holiday and Jennifer Hudson for a killa performance of "I Telling You" from Dreamgirls to the fantastic movement of the big girls choreography featuring Monique. The tribute to Gerald Levert was also moving and the Diana Ross retrospective was also well received. To me this show was a perfect blending of the new and old school. As a production man myself my hat goes off to the production team of lighting, sound, video and staging. Excellent.

Another show I stumbled upon was "Making of the Band 4" . Now every young man should see this show. It is about determination, hope, dreams and work ethic. Last year in Making the Band 3, record mogal, Puffy, Diddy or whatever he goes by this year, created a girl group and launched them to platinum success. This year he has search the country for the next big male group. This season the 20 young men that are in the house have different backgrounds and skill sets. So are big, some are small, others are educated and some are not. Whatever they have at least they have a chance to succeed. The life lessons taught so far in the series are excellent. Everyone can learn something from it event me. Check it out and let me know what you think. Here is the trailer.
This Thursday don't miss the Presidential Debates with Tavis Smiley on CNN. Hopefully they will address the plight of Black men in America. Tavis is a must see every night. One of the best talk show host on TV in my opinion.
City of Men - Catch this Brazilian drama before it goes off the air. Now yes, it does have subtitles but you will hardly notice them after awhile. This show reaffirms to me how blessed I am. Every young Black & Latin male should watch this. These kids keep hope alive and stay in the right path even with the poverty and madness surrounding them.
Also Mentions
Anderson Cooper 360 - Honest reporting
Democracy Now - Another view of the world. Not exciting yet informative
BBC World News - It is always interesting to watch the BBC newscast at 6PM and then the Network News at 6:30PM. The BBC shows a broader view of the world while all the other networks cover the same story.
Finally, I have to give the worst one sided show award to the AFI's (American Film Institutes) 100 Years, 100 Movies show. Now maybe I am crazy but how come out of 100 years and 100 movies there was only ONE black film. Now you know that isn't right. To boot they had Morgan Freeman hosting the show. That was really insulting to me but he has to eat to I guess. Oh the solo Black film was Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" I think it was number 97. Hmmmm, sounds suspect to me. I wonder what would happen if Black people would boycott all films for one month. Where would Hollywood be then?

No comments: