Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Summer Day in Harlem

Woke up early this morning smiling. Decided it was time to start my New Years Resolution to exercise every day. (-: Got out and went down to Central Park to walk 5 miles. Got lost in the park through the many trails and stumbled into the manure field. Thanks God my sinuses are acting up. The fact that I walked through it means something right? The field opened to a beautiful lake with a fountain. What a metaphor.

When I picked up my mail their was a envelope from a family friend who is probably 75 years old. Ms. Grant sent me a notice that saddened me. It was clippings from the Philly newspaper that Ms. Flo Sledge, mother and manager of the Sister Sledge singing group had passed away. She was the first women manager I had ever met when I was 17 years old. God bless her. She gave me my first road job in the entertainment industry with the group. She ruled with an iron hand but she did a great job getting the girls from obscurity to fame without them doing drugs or having babies. I most fond memory of Flo was when we were in Las Vegas opening for Bill Cosby. At 4am one morning she called my room to ask me why the flowers on the grand piano were wilted. I couldn't believe it. Everything always had to be perfect. She taught me a good lesson but that was a rough one and that one call changed my destiny. After that gig I decided to go into the corporate world. Went to work for Mobil Oil and then Philip Morris and then back into the entertainment industry for another 25 years. Thanks Flo. RIP Flo.


Looks like it is a good beach day. I haven't been in the ocean since Bahia, Brazil in March. Got to get wet sometime, plus it is hot as hell today.

No comments: