Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Week of Amazing Performances

In case you missed it on Sunday, Ms. Fantasia Barrino tore up "I'm Here" from the Color Purple. It amazes me when I watch award shows that are so boring with no people of color on it and the most outstanding performance comes from a person of color. What did Fantasia get for singing her heart out? No standing ovation. Not even from the Black people or should I say they didn't show any. Wow. Well I will tell you what...she sold some tickets I bet you. Congratulations Fantasia on a stellar moment.


Congratulations to actor Robert Jason Jackson who opened last night in the Shakespeare Theatre in downtown DC last night.
He played Polonius in Hamlet directed by the legendary Michael Kahn. This multi-cultural cast exploded with energy that didn't stop until the final curtain three hours after the show began. The reviews are starting to come in and so far they are great.

Washington DC's Shakespeare Theatre like the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta continue to put out amazing productions with multi-racial casts and they seem to work. I wonder when Broadway will wake up to the fact that Broadway need not be the Great White Way any longer.

1 comment:

Santo Domingo Colonial Zone Apts said...

Yes, Fantasia did tear it up. Didn't she?