Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Refer A Friend

Recently I have been thinking about the power of referrals. In my travels I am often amazed the many ethnic groups freely give referrals to their friends. "You should try my Doctor, they are excellent" or "My realtor found me a great apartment - let me give you his number," or "You get great clothes from my designer." I am fortunate to have a few friends that appreciate my work ethic and have referred me to friends and associates in the entertainment business and real estate.

In over the 15 years of being in the real estate business unfortunately only a handful of African Americans have given referrals to me yet my other clients and customers from other ethnic groups freely give my name to friends and family. I wonder why this is. At first I thought it was just me but recently I have been hearing more and more reports of the same thing. Two weeks ago I was speaking with a young black man who was living in a foreign country for the last six years. He started a very powerful business in Europe and was bringing it over to the US. He explained how frustrated he was with his people that they didn't seem to want to help him yet those from other groups welcomed him with open arms. Unfortunately, I didn't have an answer for him.

It is my hope that this trend can be turned around. Here is some steps to accomplish this.
  • Listen to the stories of your friends

  • If you believe they are talented refer a friend

  • Be proud to know that by referring a competent individual you are saving both time and often money.

  • Let people know what you do

Sharing resources is what made this country great. It got us through slavery and segregation. All referrals are great but it is always nice to know that your people have your back also.

No comments: