Friday, October 5, 2007

SmileyBooks Event in NYC

Yes, I know it has been awhile. A brother has to work for a living. Thankfully it has been a very busy few weeks. A friend of mine called me in and asked if I could coordinate a very important event for SmileyBooks who have just opened their New York office. When I met the President, Cheryl Woodruff, I dropped everything and threw myself into making this launch the best event we could. As most of you know, I have been producing events for many years. This has to be the most rewarding yet. Everyone worked as a team to make it happen and the mix of guests was so varied and stellar I was impressed. It spanned from teachers to authors to legends to musicians to television personalities to regular working folks. The response has been tremendous. The folks that missed it were sorry they did.


Slide show photos courtesy of James Saunders III

I have to thank so many people but especially the two who made it happen. Ms. Cheryl Woodruff who fought the battles and got what we needed without any "divaism"-new word- don't hate. This lady will continue to be a powerhouse in the literary world and will be my longtime friend and Ms. Mae Jackson who brought us together. When I got frustrated and tired Mae was there for me. Renee Alexander, premier stage manager made the night easy, Jill Marie who took good care of all the celebrity guests, Jeff Dudley and his security team, the caterer Alan Kehoe who brought delicious food and a wonderful spirit, Michele Fox and Dano who kept things cool with the venue and put up with our ever ending changes, Onaje Allan Gumbs and his trio- oh you have to check out his new CD, my good friend Greg Cooks, Melvin Taylor who brought us Onaje, Misani and the legendary Carmen de Lavallade, Carol Fass

(Above photo courtesy of Jefry Wright)
Public Relations and the Literary Public Relations who got the press there, Jefry Wright who kept on snapping wonderful pictures, James Saunders who's pictures are featured in this slideshow, John & Premier Technologies for the A/V equipment and crew, Blaxcom Solutions who turned it out with the video presentations, the Hay House Books staff, the Tavis Smiley Organization and all the wonderful volunteers and servers who kept the guest glasses full.

The authors- what can I say... Dr. Cornel West, Iyanla Vanzant, Eleanor Hinton Hoytt, Tom Burrell and of course Publisher Tavis Smiley - now that is alot of brain power on that stage. Most importantly the guests that took time out of their busy schedules to be there to make the evening a night to remember. Needless to say the celebrities that came out to support Tavis and Cheryl will always hold a special place in my heart. Here are just a few that were there;
dancer Carmen de Lavallade; dancer Judith Jameson; author Terry McMillan; actress Ruby Dee; author James Earl Hardy; Stacey Ann Chin, Blogger Keith Boykin; Ms. Ruby Dee: Charlie Rose; David Ushery and so many more. Well now you see why I haven't been bloggin.









No comments: